Some years ago the much-missed Ricco De Blank, opening GM of the ultra-luxury Ritz-Carlton Osaka hotel, marketed a million-dollar (US) wedding package based around the hotel. Much to his amazement, people expressed interest – and he had very quickly to devise a programme that would actually add up to $1,000,000. He never sold the result, but he reckoned he got $1,000,000-worth of global publicity.
Another brilliant marketer is James McBride, the brains at NIHI Sumba on Sumba Island, off Bali (yes, you are right, this is the resort that has the most amazing array of activities, including beach polo on its own ponies, as above). Sumba is actually 2.5 times bigger than Bali: it has a population of only 756,000, concentrated on the eastern part of the island, far away from the resort.
Now NIHI Sumba is offering a month-long Million Dollar Buyout. Treat up to 80 loved ones and/or friends. You have 29 villas with private pools set over 576 acres. Think secure, private, and self-contained experiences in a remote place surrounded by unspoiled natural beauty, and pristine wilderness.
NIHI Sumba was born of a vision to protect and preserve the unique Sumbanese culture and empower the local communities to improve their lives. The Million Dollar Buyout rate includes, by the way, a 5% charitable donation to The Sumba Foundation and its water, health, education, and economic initiatives.
The 30-day package includes:
• All meals – breakfast, lunch, dinner, morning/afternoon snacks, non-alcoholic drinks, and house wine and beer
• Minibar (1 full re-stock per day)
• Laundry service for 6 pieces of clothing, per person, per day (dry cleaning not available at the resort)
• Complimentary Premium Wi-Fi
• Tour of Sumba Foundation projects
• Water activities: paddle boarding and snorkeling around Nihiwatu beach (weather permitting)
• Complimentary use of Occy’s Left – said by surfers to be the world’s most sought-after left-hand point break
• Scheduled group yoga & meditation classes at the yoga pavilion
• VIP Welcome Service for international and domestic flights, plus extra luggage for domestic flights
• Complimentary airport transfers
• Choice of complimentary signature NIHI Massage, cooking class or sunset horse ride
(pay extra for your flights, additional and premium alcohol, and other activities and experiences). Honestly, says the gal, can you afford to stay home, all you surfing and polo-addict techies? Details, www.nihi.com